- Amancaya 2018 Press Sheet 94 JS Apr20
- Amancaya 2017 Press Sheet 91 WA Oct19
- Amancaya 2017 Press Sheet 90 VIN Sep19
- Amancaya 2017 Press Sheet 93 JS Mar19
- Amancaya 2016 Press Sheet 94 TA 2018
- Amancaya 2016 Press Sheet 90 WA Jun18
- Amancaya 2016 Press Sheet 92 JS Apr 18
- Amancaya 2015 Press Sheet 92 JS Jun17
- Amancaya 2014 Press Sheet 89 VIN Mar16
- Amancaya 2014 Press Sheet 93 JS Jun17
- Amancaya 2014 Press Sheet 91 WA Dec16
- Amancaya 2013 Press Sheet 93 JS May16
- Amancaya 2013 Press Sheet 89 VIN Feb15
- Amancaya 2013 Press Sheet 90+ WA Dec16
- Amancaya 2013 Press Sheet 92 WE Dec16
- Amancaya 2012 Press Sheet 91 JS Jun15
- Amancaya 2012 Press Sheet 90 WA Aug15
AMANCAYA RESERVE RED BLEND
72% Malbec, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon
The success of the first vintages of CARO encouraged Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) and the Catena family to create another premium wine, this time a Malbec dominated cuvée, that would nevertheless be a balance between the Bordeaux and Argentine styles. To celebrate its Andean origin, the wine was named Amancaya, after the mountain flower which grows in the Andes.VINTAGE NOTES
The 2017 vintage was characterized by slightly above average rainfall (188 mm instead of 102 mm), especially during bud break, and temperatures close to seasonal averages, with the exception of the frost that caused some damage to the vines on October 21st. Towards the end of the summer, the nights during February were up to 4 degrees warmer than usual. This phenomenon and a generally dry quarter had an accelerating effect and the harvests were two to three weeks early. The grapes are characterized by a good balance between sugar and acidity and by the softness of the tannins characteristic of Malbec. The Cabernet Sauvignon from deeper soils had a slower maturity, while those from stony soils reached an excellent balance and their typical spicy character with greater agility.WINEMAKING
Like CARO, the grapes come from the vineyards of Vistalba, La Consulta, Agrelo, Tupungato and Tunuyan (which are all over 30 years old and situated at an altitude between 2,625 and 4,593 feet). The meticulous selection takes place in the vineyards of the Catena family as well as in the vineyards of producers with the greatest terroirs of Mendoza.
The harvests took place from March 4 to April 22. The grapes were picked by hand and then sorted, destemmed and crushed before fermentation. Maceration was conducted in the traditional way, with smooth pumping overs to ensure gentle extraction. Ageing took place for 12 months, 50% in French oak barrels and 50% in concrete vats.
Deep ruby color. Intense aromas of white flowers, red cherries and figs. Juicy and complex with hints of cloves and other spices. This well-balanced wine is an elegant expression of the blend of Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon.