Castello Di Gabiano
For centuries, Castello di Gabiano has served as a strategic socioeconomic stronghold, dating back to the 8th Century. For the last 400 years, the estate has been involved in wine production, when the first Marquis of Gabiano was appointed to the property. Today, current owners, Giacomo Cattaneo Adorno, the last Marquis of Gabiano, and his wife, Emanuela, run the estate with the same drive and passion as their forefathers, producing Monferrato wines of structure and complexity.
Castello di Gabiano, situated in the Monferrato production region of Piedmont, dates back to the 8th Century, at the time of Charlemagne (Italian trans. Carlo Magno), Emperor of the Romans. In a signed document, he indicated the presence of a “Cortem magnam nomina Gabianam,” proving the land has been owned by the Gabiano family since that time.
The Monferrato appellation is a hilly area situated among the Po and Tanaro rivers, boarding the Apennine Mountains. An ancient winemaking region dating back to 1200 BC, is was a prized production area for the Roman empire. The Castello di Gabiano estate has been producing wine for just as long, with natural cellars dug into rock, which are still in use today. Sitting at 300m a.s.l. the estate's vineyards - some dating back 100+ years - are covered in ancient sea sediments and composed of chalky lime soil. The estate covers 260 hectares, of which 22 are destined to vineyards.
Today, Giacomo Cattaneo Adorno, the last Marquis of Gabiano, and his wife, Emanuela, manage the estate and produce wines from mainly Barbera, as well as Freisa, Grignolino bnd Malvasia for the red wines and Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc for the whites. Passionate and determined, Giacomo and Emanuela are committed to capturing the beauty and structure of Monferrato in every bottle of wine, blending traditional and contemporary winemaking practices.