The Rothschild family acquired Château Duhart-Milon, a “4er Cru” in the 1855 classification, from the Castejas of Pauillac, in 1962. The property was named after the Sieur of Duhart, gun-runner to Louis XIV, who originally owned the property, and from the name of the little hamlet of Milon which separates the Duhart-Milon vineyard from that of Château Lafite. The vineyard covers 188 acres and is planted with the classical cépages of Médoc: Cabernet Sauvignon (67%) and Merlot (33%). The property has been managed since 1962 by a single team that, due to the proximity of the two properties, oversees both Château Lafite Rothschild and Château Duhart-Milon. Both Châteaux use the same traditional techniques based on strict control of yields, harvesting by hand, and numerous manual tasks throughout the year.
In the early 18th century, Pauillac began widespread grape cultivation at the urging of the Lafite lords. The Milon wines served as additional income for Lafite’s master, and became Château Lafite’s second wine. The 1855 classification recognized the quality of Duhart-Milon’s soil by ranking it as the only 4th growth wine in Pauillac. Between 1830 and 1840, the Castéja family was left an inheritance by both Mandavy and the Duhart widow (35 acres). The family thus possessed a 99 acre vineyard that was named Duhart- Milon. The property changed ownership many times over the years and suffered a decline in the quality of its’ wines. The property was named after the Sieur of Duhart, gun-runner to Louis XIV, who originally owned the property, and from the name of the little hamlet of Milon which separates the Duhart-Milon vineyard from Château Lafite.
In 1962, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) acquired the property from the Castéja family. Since the acquisition by Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) the vineyards have been totally overhauled and the chais renovated. A finishing touch to a remarkable 40 year effort to reclaim the Médoc 4th growth wine ranking for Château Duhart-Milon.
The vineyard covers 175 acres on the western side of Château Lafite Rothschild, on the Milon hillside and is planted with the classical cépages of Médoc: Cabernet Sauvignon (69%), Cabernet Franc (3%) and Merlot (28%). The soil is fine gravel mixed with aeolian sands on a tertiary limestone bedrock. The average age of the vineyards is 28 years.
Charles Chevallier is Technical Director of the Bourdeaux Château Lafite Rothschild, Château Duhart-Milon,Château L’Evangile and Château Rieussec. Mr. Chevallier comes from a family of wine-growers in Lunel in the Coteaux du Languedoc. He graduated from the Ecole Supérieure d’Agriculture of Purpan in Toulouse as an Agricultural Engineer and later continued studies in Research and development of phytosanitary products for winegrowing.
In 1979, Mr. Chevallier became the Technical Department Director (vine, cereals, herbal medicine) in a Cooperative at the Union Agricole des pays de la Loire in Thouarcé . In 1983, Mr. Chevallier joined the prestigious Bourdeaux wineries as Technical Deputy Director for Château Lafite Rothschild. Subsequently he became the Technical Manager for Château Rieussec, and Technical Director for Château Lafite Rothschild, Château Duhart-Milon,Château L’Evangile and Château Rieussec.
In January 2016, Charles retired from his role as Technical Director of the Bordeaux Chateaux and assumed the role of Senior Advisor.