- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2020 Press All Ratings
- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2019 Press All Ratings
- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2018 Press All Ratings
- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2017 Press All Ratings
- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2016 Press 93 CS WE Jul19
- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2016 Press 98 JS Dec19
- Les Grandes Places Côte Rôtie 2015 Press 97 WS Nov18
- Côte Rôtie Les Grandes Pl 2015 Press 97 WS Nov18
- Côte Rôtie Les Grandes Place 2016 Prss 93 WE Jul19
"LES GRANDES PLACES" CÔTE-RÔTIE
Located in the heart of the Côte-Rôtie vineyards near the village of Ampuis, Domaine Jean-Michel Gerin was created in 1983 with vines inherited from his father and grandfather and they began to bottle and sell under the Jean-Michel Gerin brand.
In 1988 Gerin made his first purchase of vines in Les Grandes Places and added to his holdings in 1989, with the purchase of land on La Landonne. Today, the estate covers nearly 30 acres in the Côte-Rôtie appellation where Jean has now been joined by his two sons, Michael and Alexis.
A tiny 3.5 acre lieu-dit, Les Grandes Places (The Great Place) is composed of micaschiste on steeply terraced hillside vineyards that face South-Southeast. Les Grandes Places is planted with JM Gerin’s oldest vines, some of which were planted by his grandfather and other family members in the years 1924,1925 and 1926. 50-80 years old vines sit on South Southeast vineyards at 250-300m a.s.l.
Hand-harvested (tractors can’t negotiate the terraces) and picked by descending downhill with a basket strapped behind. Macerated for 30 days.
Tiny production yields 400 cs/year. LGP is always tasted last.
Aged 22 months in barrique (30% new oak).TASTING NOTES
Bright purple with an explosively perfumed bouquet that displays ripe, spice-tinged blackberry, cherry compote, incense and smoky bacon scents, backed by vanilla and mocha qualities. Huge mouthfeel, it is a wine with power and sustainability. Offers palate-staining dark fruit liqueur, vanilla and candied violet flavors that are lifted and given focus by a jolt of juicy acidity. Youthfully firm tannins build steadily through a strikingly long, penetrating finish that repeats the blue fruit and floral qualities.
Ages gracefully for 10+ years from vintage date.
Will perfectly accompany red meats and games, charcuteries, strong cheeses.