CROMAS GRAN RESERVA CABERNET FRANC

Los Vascos

LES DOMAINES BARONS DE ROTHSCHILD (LAFITE)

APPELLATION

Colchagua Valley

GRAPE VARIETIES

100% Cabernet Franc

WINEMAKERS

Maximiliano Correa

TECHNICAL DATA

Acidity
3.72
Alcohol
14.5%

BACKGROUND

Los Vascos wines blend Lafite tradition with the unique terroir of Chile to create elegant wines that bring exceptional to the everyday. The vision of Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) to expand their estate took them to South America in 1988, becoming the first French viticultural investment in modern Chile. Since then, a comprehensive modernization and investment program has been undertaken, oriented towards the production of fine wine using and adapting the viticultural experiences of Bordeaux and other areas where Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) is present.

Los Vascos is located in Valley de Caneten (Colchagua), a closed valley in the central zone of Chile, approximately 25 miles from the sea. The valley provides a perfect microclimate for high quality viticulture, with Northern exposure to lands uncontaminated by airborne or water-borne pollutants. Daily on-shore winds provide temperature changes between 68-77°F, for optimum maturation of the grapes. With 1,581 acres planted on the over 10,000 acre estate, it is one of the largest vineyards in the central Colchagua valley, at the foot of Mount Cañeten.

The name, Cromas, was inspired by the colors of nature to reflect how this wine expresses the message of the soil it is coming from and the know-how of the Los Vascos team.

TERROIR & VINTAGE NOTES

For this demanding grape variety, the hillsides of Santa Lucia were selected. The soils consist of altered granite with low argile content and the southeastern exposure offers the optimal ripening conditions. The gentle ocean breezes help cool the grapes at night.

The drier-than-usual start to the season required early irrigation and meticulous monitoring of the vineyard. The major challenge for the 2019 vintage was essentially the extremely high temperature variables at the end of January and beginning of February (reaching 105°F). Fortunately, the much cooler nights, with a record low of 50°F, allowed high-quality grapes to be obtained with excellent ripeness and balance.

WINEMAKING & AGEING

This grape variety calls for a very soft handling in the winery, with extreme caution and patience required during the extraction and maceration phases. Therefore, the grapes are fermented in small stainless steel tanks, allowing to vinify the various plots separately. The wines are then aged 80% in oak barrels and the remaining 20% in concrete tanks.

TASTING NOTES

Bright ruby red color. Strawberry and blackberry-dominated nose that gradually reveals notes of gooseberries, black cherries, herbs, and roasted red peppers. Barrel-ageing enhances the complexity of aromas and adds notes of tiramisu and dried fruits.

On the palate, forward tannins boast its lively youth and attractive personality. An awe-inspiring wine. A silent pledge that more is yet to come.

SELECT A PRODUCT

Los Vascos Portfolio

LE DIX DE LOS VASCOS
FULL PROFILE
CROMAS GRAN RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON
FULL PROFILE
GRANDE RÉSERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON
FULL PROFILE
CROMAS GRAN RESERVA CARMENÈRE
FULL PROFILE
GRANDE RÉSERVE CARMENÈRE
FULL PROFILE
CROMAS GRAN RESERVA CABERNET FRANC
FULL PROFILE
CROMAS GRAN RESERVA SYRAH
FULL PROFILE
CABERNET SAUVIGNON
FULL PROFILE
CHARDONNAY
FULL PROFILE
SAUVIGNON BLANC
FULL PROFILE
ROSÉ
FULL PROFILE