- Ser Lapo Chianti 2016 Press All Ratings
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2015 Press 92 WA Oct18
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2015 Press 89 W&S Apr19
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2015 Press 95 JS Sep18
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2012 Press 89 WA Oct15
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2012 Press 91 WS Oct15
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2011 Press 90 WA Oct15
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2011 Press 90 WS Oct14
- Ser Lapo Chianti 2011 Press 91 JS Oct14
SER LAPO CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA DOCG
Chianti Classico DOCG
90% Sangiovese; 10% Merlot
For 26 generations, the Mazzei family has been producing benchmark Italian wines from their historic Castello di Fonterutoli estate in Tuscany and more recently in the Maremma, Sicily and the Veneto. The passion, commitment and expertise that goes into these expressive wines is a reflection of the Mazzei’s spirit of innovation and respect for each property’s unique terroir.
The Fonterutoli estate’s Chianti Classico Riserva is dedicated the the Mazzei’s notable ancestor, Ser Lapo, vigneron, merchant and author of the first official document mentioning “Chianti wine” (December 16th, 1398).
Sourced from estate vineyards composed primarily of clay/loam and calcareous rocks/sandstones. Vineyards are 15-30 years old and planted at 820 - 1,080ft a.s.l.WINEMAKING & AGEING
The Sangiovese and Merlot grapes undergo a temperature-controlled fermentation in stainless steel tanks with 15-18 days maceration. Grapes are aged 12 months in small French oak barriques (225/500 lt - 50% new), followed by 5 months refinement in bottle.TASTING NOTES
Ruby red color with violet nuances. On the nose, bright aromas of fresh cherries mingle with notes of thyme and a subtle smoky character. Bright acid structure providing a lively quality. Cranberry, raspberry, and red cherry dominate with hints of leather, cedar, and cocoa powder. Some earthiness in the finish and ripe soft tannins.